9/12/2007

 

Eating north of the border

Food thoughts from my vacation to Toronto. . . -- The city has a multiplex on Richmond Street where you can get fast food in the theatre. it's the first place I have seen this phenomenon. Burger King, Pizza Hut/KFC were in the multiplex. The thought of smelling a Whopper or Personal Pan Pizza while watching a movie didn't seem tantalizing. But I like the idea that you can if you want to. Then again, the prices might scare you. The Whopper cost $3.99 Canadian and a Whopper Value Meal was $9.99 Canadian. (For the first time in about 31 years, the Canadian dollar is virtually the same rate as the U.S. dollar.) I know Toronto is the most expensive city in Canada, but that seems a little high. -- The bargain end was a $.99 cranberry/lemon muffin at a local bakery in the St. Lawrence Market. Freshly baked and enough to last you until lunch, it was an unexpected treat. I almost got the peameal bacon sandwich: back bacon with a cornmeal crust on a soft roll. Tempting but not for breakfast. -- I indulged more than usual in French fries and Coca-Cola, since the Canadian rules applied. Ketchup that tastes like ketchup due to there being no high-fructose corn syrup. Coca-Cola for the same reason. I set good limits and followed them. -- When you are on vacation, sometimes you walk too much and realize you don't know what you will do for dinner. My first full day was like that: then again, I sat through 2 movies and a football game, so I was plenty tired. I was in the mood for steak. I stumbled upon a place that seemed OK, except. I walked in and I heard a really bad pop song on the radio. Didn't seem like the thing to hear in a steakhouse. I sat down because I was tired and didn't want to try somewhere else. I asked for water. The waiter gave me a choice that perplexed me. I said just plain water. He reasked his question. I confess I can't repeat it back, since I never understood the question. I think I finally answered his question since he left. The guy next to me tried to explain, but I didn't get it, except to know they were trying to sell me water I didn't want. So I left. It took me a while to find the other steakhouse I had noticed. It was The Keg, a place I had eaten at in Vancouver. What a difference. I sat at the bar, was treated really well from the start, filled my water glass a lot (I had walked a lot), and even turned on the Blue Jays game for me. The two ladies sitting at the bar were lovely company. The meal was perfectly done, not a single complaint. Nice to find when you are on vacation. -- I'm not the most adventurous eater. But in Toronto, there are so many different ethnic restaurants to choose from. I even saw a Somali place on the way from the airport. There are two Italian areas. Tried a place in each area and had nice success with both. Sometimes, just walking around the neighborhood is the best way to find a place. -- Poutine was everywhere. I have dealt with the oddities of what Ontario residents put on their fries. I didn't have it this trip, but there's always next time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?