12/08/2007

 

Can't live on airline food alone

Normally, I try not to pay attention to food I get on airplanes -- mostly so I don't start crying. But with my first trip on Southwest, I was curious as to what I would get. Known for its peanuts, I was disappointed to find the peanuts coated in several sources of sugar. I didn't write them all down, but there was sucrose and brown sugar. "I can't eat this," I thought to myself. "Way too sweet." Fortunately, my hunger didn't rest on getting anything significant from my "travel snack box." The thin salami probably went over well with many travelers, but it had no appeal to me. I saw smoked salmon jerky in Oakland, and the idea of eating processed salami wasn't appetizing. The 100-calorie pack of "Chips Ahoy" was intriguing in that I had never tried them. What a waste. Yes, it's only 100 calories. But they had no taste. None. I would have liked one Chips Ahoy cookie, regardless of how many calories it would have provided. At least there would have been taste involved. Finally, the piece de resistance: breadsticks, sort of, and processed cheese. Woooo! After the rest, this was manna. It was lifeless, tasteless sticks of white flour, but the cheese was a little fun. I loved my trip on Southwest, but I will stock up on sandwiches. I had a Potbelly from Midway (Chicago) and a tremendous roast beef sandwich with extra horseradish on sourdough from San Francisco airport (Jackie's Deli?). Much much better eating fare.

Comments:
here's an update on getting food from airports before you board.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/10/AR2007121001763.html
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?