6/24/2006

 

Now we know how much trans fat

UPDATE: According to Sally Squires of the Washington Post, she says for a 2,000 calorie diet, the new requirements set a daily limit of 2 grams of trans fat, roughly what is in half a small bag of fast-food fries. Thanks, Sally Like many of you, I wanted to know "so how much trans fat can we eat?" Now, we have some idea. The American Heart Association has set a specific limit on trans fats at less than 1 percent of total calories. In a 2,000 calorie diet, that comes out to less than 20 calories of trans fats. But I confess I don't know what that means. How many French fries does that mean? How many cookies? I recently switched from Ore-Ida frozen French fries to a chain supermarket brand. The new ones aren't as much fun as Ore-Ida, but unlike Ore-Ida, they have no trans fats. I've been broiling them at home to give myself some French fry fun. But it seemed pointless to broil fries that already had trans fat in them, especially when you consider that if I had put them in oil, it would still be a trans-fat free process. I guess the general guideline applies to trans fats: eat as few as possible.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?