6/16/2005

 

Even if healthier, addictions still not good

Health trends motivate food manufacturers to shift their marketing focus. "Organic" and "trans fat free" are just some of the more recent buzz words to set products apart as being distinct. I thought I had seen it all until I hit upon Organic Ragu spaghetti sauce. My initial reaction to seeing the product in the store wasn't desire, but laughter. Right there in the grocery aisle. I'm sure passers-by wondered how or why spaghetti sauce could inspire laughter. As a disclaimer, I used to be a Ragu addict. I spent my childhood with a constant craving for the red, red flow of the sweet, sweet sauce. If I went too long without a Ragu fix, I would feel the physical effects of withdrawal. I felt weak and disoriented. Fortunately, these periods never lasted too long. However, I have not had a drop of Ragu in 15 years. Yes, tastes change. Foods I loved as a child (bologna) are gone from my diet. Other foods (mushrooms) have been added to my plate as an adult, but were missing from my childhood. To my current tastes, Ragu is too sweet. Some of that is the overwhelming impact of high fructose corn syrup, which I have talked about previously. The sauce also doesn't have enough herbs or garlic. Ragu is what it is: an Americanized version of what spaghetti sauce might be. Sanitized for American tastes, it shouldn't be overwhelming or highly flavorful. It serves a niche. My transition away from Ragu is complete, or at least, I thought it was. Organic Ragu sounds great. There wouldn't be any high fructose corn syrup, a huge bonus. The ingredients would have to taste better. I seriously thought about trying Organic Ragu. I looked over the ingredients. The list was basically organic versions of what was in the regular sauce. It certainly had some appeal. If I were going back on the Ragu train, this would be the product I would use. But with most addictions, going back a little isn't viable. I don't want to get sucked in by an addiction to Ragu, no matter how much better it was. I worked hard to get off the Ragu train. I am proud of my willpower. I realize now that spaghetti sauces shouldn't be that sweet. What has kept me healthy is reducing my desire for sweet and salt. I even got rid of sugar in my homemade spaghetti sauce. If I don't need sweet, I shouldn't have any. Even if Ragu put in healthier sweetness sources, with the Ragu name, it would taste just as sweet. Otherwise, it wouldn't be Ragu. So for right now, I will say no. I used to need Ragu desperately, and I didn't like myself for it. Now, I really have to want it. Even with organic, the truth is I don't. If this product had come out 5 years ago, I would be on top of it. And maybe if I had a chance to sample it, I might still try it. But it's not even worth $2.99 and my time to do it. Where I am now, Ragu is a childhood memory that needs to stay right where it is -- as a memory.
(Editor's note: I asked my readers if I should try the new Organic Ragu after all. A majority of you said I should try it, what the heck. Those who supported my efforts to maintain the ban wrote very noble words, and I greatly appreciate your time and effort. Here is the resulting column.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?