4/06/2005

 

David Shaw inspirational piece

I have my doubts about running the entire column for fear of repercussion by the Los Angeles Times. But here is a tidbit to give you a flavor of what he wrote. (And if you are a concerned attorney or from the Los Angeles Times, please e-mail me.
I think every place that serves hamburgers (or any other food) should closely monitor the quality and care of its meat (and everything else it serves). Maybe every place that serves hamburgers should also have a legal waiver available to customers. You want a rare burger, you get a rare burger. But first you have to sign a form acknowledging that you recognize the potential danger from E. coli and indemnifying the restaurant against any damages should you get sick. Kids can't sign legally binding waivers, of course, but I'm not a kid. I'm an adult and I want to be treated as an adult, someone capable of evaluating potential risks and making decisions accordingly. California state law is on my side. Although the Food Safety Act of 1997 requires that ground meat be "thoroughly cooked," which the law defines as a minimum internal temperature of 155 to 157 degrees, it specifically says that requirement may be bypassed if "the consumer specifically orders that the food be individually prepared less than thoroughly cooked." In other words, it's supposed to be up to the consumer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?